Explain what you learn about the disclosures of your SEC 10-K company
what you learn about the disclosures of your SEC 10-K company relating to
comments should relate to net income or loss as well as to the balance sheet
treatment and disclosure in the notes to the financial statements.
consider the concept of risk and the aggressiveness of positions taken.
1. Identify and explain the investments disclosed by your SEC 10-K
company? Where are the disclosed? Is there information you cannot access
due to generalization and issues of materiality?
2. Identify and explain trends in the investment holdings of your
SEC 10-K company, comparing this fiscal year to previous years. What
detail do you learn from the notes to the financial statements?
1. How is the concept of revenue recognition disclosed in your SEC 10-K?
Identify and explain the recognition issues faced by your company.
2. Describe the sales and
revenue issues of your company in terms of customers and sales types.
Category: Reporting Stockholders’ Equity
1. Explain the relevancy of your
company’s statement of stockholders’ equity. Your comments should include
column titles as well as line items. Any surprises related to items not
included or items displayed? What changes do you observe? An example
would be treasury stock.
2. Retained earnings or accumulated
deficits: comment on the activity reporting, including references to previous
fiscal year activity.
Category: Common Stock, Dividends, and other
1. Describe activity for this fiscal
year and others disclosed relating to common stock, dividends, and related
2. Comment on concepts such as stock
compensation and stock options. What do you learn from the notes to the
financial statements regarding these items?
Category: Accumulated Other Comprehensive
Income / (Loss)
1. Compare and contract items in the area of
Accumulated Other Comprehensive Income / (Loss) for this fiscal year with other
years disclosed in the statement of shareholders’ equity.
2. Provide additional details about
accumulated other comprehensive income based on your review of the notes to the
1. What were the company’s liabilities as
displayed on the balance sheet for the most recent fiscal year? Comment
on the trend in total liabilities, both current and long term.
2. Notes to the financial statements: What more do you learn about
liabilities from these details?
1. Identify and describe any contingencies. How are they disclosed?
2. Considering materiality as one component, what do you learn about
contingencies from your review of the notes to the financial statements?
1. What goals might management have regarding the disclosure of
2. Identify and explain gain contingencies as they apply to your company.
3. Identify and
explain loss contingencies as they apply to your company.
(2015, 7 23). Retrieved from 2015 Nike, Inc. Annual Report: